For best experience, use Nutshell app on your smartphone.
11:43 am on 15 February 2022, Tuesday
By GDM Staff
The Philippines has returned to low-risk classification for COVID-19 spread after an Omicron-fueled surge in cases last month, the Department of Health said (DOH).
In a briefing aired late Monday, DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III said the country was deemed low risk after registering a two-week growth rate of -74%.
The average daily attack rate from February 1 to 14 also declined to 5.26 cases per 100,000 individuals.
Duque reported that 13 regions in the Philippines, including Metro Manila, were at low risk for COVID-19 spread. The National Capital Region and other areas will remain under Alert Level 2 until February.
Meanwhile, the Davao region, Cordillera Administrative Region, Western Visayas, and Soccsksargen were at moderate risk.
According to the health chief, the healthcare utilization rates in the country and most of its regions were at low risk.
“We are able to manage our cases and our health system's capacity is very much prepared for any eventuality na kung magkaroon na naman ng saka-sakaling pagtaaas, makikita po natin na malaki po ang ating excess at mababa po ang ating unit utilization rate,” he said.
The DOH has recorded 3.6 million COVID-19 cases since the pandemic started, with 55,000 deaths.